Day three at Walt Disney World had us visiting Animal Kingdom. However, three days in a row proved to be a little too much. Our first mistake was sleeping in and getting a slightly later start. You wouldn’t think that arriving at 10:30 instead of 9 would make much of a difference, but in the Florida it certainly did.

We started off by heading straight for the safari. Kelly read that the animals are out of sight in the heat of the day so it was best to ride the safari first thing. What we didn’t count on was that the safari was all the way across the park! We deadheaded there and rode the safari, which is awesome. Raymond was amazed by most of the animals, especially when there was a white rhino less than 10 feet from our safari truck. The safari alone was worth the price of admission. After the safari we walked the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. It was interesting, but a little too hot to fully enjoy.

Next we rode the train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch, an interesting little secluded area. The pros? Nice train ride, air conditioned sitting area, interesting shows and displays. The cons? Lots of time for not a lot of stuff. Raymond didn’t care to pet anything and mostly focused on getting a couple autographs and trading pins.

After that we hustled over to Camp Mickey Minnie for the Festival of the Lion King. At this point we were all hot and tired. Again, if we were going back I would suggest definitely getting there when the park opens. I would also suggest planning your route through the park to better enjoy the shows and rides. However, all that was worth it for the Lion King show. It was an incredible performance full of singing, dancing and acrobatics. Raymond was entranced.

We left the park and checked in to our new hotel. We took a much needed pool break and headed back to the Magic Kingdom for the evening. We saw the electric parade, which was interesting somewhat like the relic of a bygone era. Raymond enjoyed some of it, but was overstimulated by more. We rode a few rides, smartly getting into something right before the fireworks started. We actually managed to stick around almost until the park closed. I will say that the evening was much more conducive to exploring the park as it was 10-20 degrees cooler.

All in all I would call it a success, but if I had it to do over I would take day three off and hang out in the pool. It would have given everyone a chance to recover and rest, and we would have been raring to go for day 4. As it stood, I was starting my conference on day 4 so I don’t have any more to report on Walt Disney World.

Read Autism and Walt Disney World Day 1.

Read Autism and Walt Disney World Day 2.